Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Incompatible Mushkin 996647 + Lenovo SL 510 = RMA?

Incompatible Mushkin 996647 + Lenovo SL 510 = RMA? 7 months 1 week ago #1919

Hello :)

I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 with 2x 4GB Mushkin Essentials (Partnumber 996647). The system doesn't work correctly with this memory. It shows a BSOD randomly, but Memtestx86 runs 10h+, Prime 95 runs and even 3dMark 03 loops runs for hours ...
BSODs are pure randomly, load, idle, boottime. :unsure:
When I changed the memory to two samsung sticks, it runs fine. When I changed back to the mushkin sticks, it's unstable and it shows BSODs.

I do not know, if the memory is just defective (without memtest errors oO) or clearly incompatible.

Is it possible, that mushkin replaces the memory with other essentials sticks, that will run perfectly fine with my lenovo?
Is it possible, that the part number 997077 have got a better compatibility (other uTT/eTT ICs manufacturer?)?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.
Last Edit: 7 months 1 week ago by OAgover1634.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Incompatible Mushkin 996647 + Lenovo SL 510 = RMA? 7 months 1 week ago #1920

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 87
It is unusual to have memory issues if you can pass MemTest and Prime.

What does the system run the memory at DDR3=1066 or DDR3-1333? looking at the specs it appears to depend on the CPU that is used.

The other memory, is it the same size, frequency, etc?

Incompatible Mushkin 996647 + Lenovo SL 510 = RMA? 7 months 1 week ago #1921

I know that it isn't usual and I don't even think the memory is defective, but it seems to be incompatible. Maybe the chipset/memory controller (GM45) can't handle the max amount of memory with those ICs. According to Lenovo the SL510 can handle up to 2x 4GB.
The memory runs at DDR3-800 / 6-6-6-15. The Samsung memory is only 2x 2GB, but it has the same frequency and timings.

The latest bios is installed.

Btw it doesn't always pass Prime. BSODs are pure randomly! Sometimes I don't get errors and it runs for hours, but other times I get a BSOD within minutes.

Incompatible Mushkin 996647 + Lenovo SL 510 = RMA? 7 months 1 week ago #1922

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
The Intel GM45 chipset can handle 2x4GB (8GB total).
ark.intel.com/products/35134/Intel-82GM4...emory-Controller-hub

Do the Mushkin modules have 8 chips, 4 per side?

What I would normally recommend for a system like this is the 996644 kit, it works better with older laptops like this.

Where did you purchase from, Alternate?
Have you contacted the place of purchase to see if they will replace for you?
Last Edit: 7 months 1 week ago by MushkinSean.

Incompatible Mushkin 996647 + Lenovo SL 510 = RMA? 7 months 1 week ago #1923

Thanks for your answer. :-)
I know the GM45 specs, I mean that the MC maybe have problems with specific ICs at its GB limit. With a desktop system i give in this case a litte bit more voltage to the MC, but on a notebook this is not possible.
The Muskins have 16 ICs, 8 per side. I buy the 996647, because they was available and memory should backward compatible (in the theory).

The memory are from snogard.de. I don't know if they switch only on fairness in a other product after one year (i buy the modules for my sister and could not install it directly). I think, they don't, thats why i contacted mushkin and hope you can help. :-)

Incompatible Mushkin 996647 + Lenovo SL 510 = RMA? 7 months 1 week ago #1925

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
You are right in theory you should be able to use a 1333 module, but in practice that is not always the case.

It does not look like they have the 996644 kit, we can get you fixed up though.

Start a support ticket here
We will also need a copy of your proof of purchase, so attach that to your ticket.
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds