Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Updater not working on my MKNSSDCR240GB-DX

Updater not working on my MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 9 months 1 week ago #2037

Hello MushkinSean,

I bought my Chronos Deluxe 240GB in June 2012. I believe I checked the firmware at the time to make sure it was up-to-date but I haven't done so since. I tried checked what firmware it is to see how outdated I am compared to the current 507 firmware, but going to the details tab under properties of the drive and selecting "Hardware Ids" doesn't show any numbers, only BFFO after the drive name.

I'm guessing there's been a number of firmware updates since then so I downloaded the "Mushkin_Atlas_Chronos_Catalyst_507_FW_Update" file. However, when I run the exe it does not detect the drive. I have verified that I'm running in AHCI mode in the BIOS of my Asus Rampage IV Formula motherboard and this is the only storage drive in my system.

So my questions are:

1) How can I check what firmware is currently on the drive? My main concern is that Open Hardware Monitor is showing the write amplification at 1.76 which seems very high despite having over 30GB of free space, but also I'm guessing that with how old the firmware is on this I would gain some drive performance updating to the new firmware.
2) Why is the drive not showing up in the updater?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Updater not working on my MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 9 months 1 week ago #2043

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 91
Hi,

You can use Crystal Disk Info to check the firmware rev. crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

However by your description it sounds like you have Intel RST 11.5(or newer installed) that will block the updater.
To update you need to go back to the MS AHCI driver.

How to is here poweredbymushkin.com/forum/how-to-guides...-firmware-in-windows

Updater not working on my MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 9 months 1 week ago #2062

MushkinSean wrote:
Hi,

You can use Crystal Disk Info to check the firmware rev. crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

However by your description it sounds like you have Intel RST 11.5(or newer installed) that will block the updater.
To update you need to go back to the MS AHCI driver.

How to is here poweredbymushkin.com/forum/how-to-guides...-firmware-in-windows

Thanks for the quick reply. I used that app and it says the firmware is 502ABBF0. I'm guessing there have been some significant changes between 502 and 507? I can't find any changelog, which is why I ask.

Updater not working on my MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 9 months 1 week ago #2067

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
There are no change logs available.
I would update to 507 though as it is quite a bit newer and has some TRIM enhancements.

Updater not working on my MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 9 months 1 week ago #2074

MushkinSean wrote:
There are no change logs available.
I would update to 507 though as it is quite a bit newer and has some TRIM enhancements.

Ahh ok, sounds worthwhile then. Nothing will happen when I switch the drive over temporarily to the AHCI driver? In my systray I have something called Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise running, and it lists the controller as Intel(R) C600 series chipset SATA AHCI Controller.

Updater not working on my MKNSSDCR240GB-DX 9 months 1 week ago #2077

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
the standard AHCI driver is the default MS driver, should be no problem using it to update.

The other thing is that the Intel RSTe has pretty much been replaced with the newer Intel RST, same one as used on most Intel systems. Asus has the latest up their website, I would install it after you update rather than going back to the older drivers
www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/RAMPAGE_IV_FORMULA/#support
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds