Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Want to install my Enhanced Chronos 120 on Win XP

Want to install my Enhanced Chronos 120 on Win XP 7 months 1 week ago #2052

• davebert
  • Fresh Boarder
So am I good to go? I did use the XP Pro install disk to do the ntfs quick format after I tried everything yesterday as that is where I deleted the partitions and made a new C partition. Anything else I need to check or just use it? Also,my ATTO scores seem like about half but it is a SATA 2 mainboard GA-EP45-UD3R and it is in IDE mode as AHCI it will blue screen. What about garbage collection and lack of TRIM?
Thanks,
davebert
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Want to install my Enhanced Chronos 120 on Win XP 7 months 1 week ago #2054

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 87
Yeah as far as alignment you are good now at the starting offset of 1,048,576, that is were the first partition should start with an SSD :)

SATA2 will be slower for sure, IDE is even slower
XP does not have drivers for AHCI mode, we used to slipstream them in at install with nlite.
I remember seeing a way to switch to AHCI mode after XP was installed, just can't find it atm...
SP3 ?

Garbage collection will still work
TRIM will not work.

Want to install my Enhanced Chronos 120 on Win XP 7 months 1 week ago #2056

• davebert
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, I have Win XP Pro (32 bit) SP3 on here. Please let me know if you find a way for the AHCI fix. I will just continue my work reinstalling some important apps for now. Funny thing is, I had a 1TB Caviar Black started to act up and had some bad blocks and then was unmountable, and I removed it to salvage my data. I installed the older replacement drive (another WD Caviar Black) to rebuild the system and it failed the same way within a week. The drives were both manufactured in FEB 2010. So while I am waiting on a 2TB WD Caviar Black I figured I would speed this old box up a little. :P
Thanks,
davebert

Want to install my Enhanced Chronos 120 on Win XP 7 months 1 week ago #2057

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 87
This should work www.prime-expert.com/articles/a11/change...lling-windows-xp.php

The drivers are downloadable from GBT if you no longer have the mobo CD (Intel AHCI of course)
www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3013#dl
The following user(s) said Thank You: davebert

Want to install my Enhanced Chronos 120 on Win XP 7 months 1 week ago #2058

• davebert
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Sean for all the help. I appreciate it. :)
davebert

Edit: Well I am getting nowhere fast with the prime-expert.com article. I follow the instructions and when I install the driver I get a blue screen and crash. Then I switch to AHCI mode and get more blue screens. If I set it back to IDE it works fine. I guess I will keep trying but something doesn't seem right with the directions or I am doing it wrong. I select the Textmode AHCI Driver and that seems correct, but I don't know how it could find the AHCI driver as it is in a different folder and if I choose disk and try to select it, it seems to want an .inf file???
Last Edit: 7 months 1 week ago by davebert.

Want to install my Enhanced Chronos 120 on Win XP 7 months 1 week ago #2060

• davebert
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok, I am back but quitting for today on this with a question and a pic. The instructions say to choose the PRIMARY IDE but I think I need to use one of the 2 ICH10R controllers. Does the 2 port usually control SATA_0 and SATA_1 and the 4 port the others or visa versa?
Thanks,
davebert

Image1.jpg
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds