Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mixing RAM - 1.5 and 1.65v?

Mixing RAM - 1.5 and 1.65v? 4 months 4 weeks ago #2179

• Shamrock15
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all,

I've got a couple year old Core i7 870 on a ASUS P7P55D-E currently with 4GB (2x2GB) of Mushkin DDR3 1600MHz RAM (PN: 996744).

It runs well most of the time but BF4 is a bit sluggish and it'd be nice to have some extra RAM above and beyond the 4GB that I already have.

I'm looking at buying Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PN: 996995) to add in to the existing RAM but I'm a bit concerned about the voltages. The 2x4GB kit is a 1.5V set while the current stuff I have is supposed to be running at 1.65V.

Would it be an issue if I add this in?

Next question... in researching this I've noted that my motherboard auto selected (and I can't imagine when this might have happened - maybe in a BIOS update I did a year back or so) the RAM settings and set it to 1.5V at 1333Mhz anyways... I can force it back I'm pretty sure but I'm wondering why its doing this. I thought thats what XMP profiles did was help the motherboard make the right choice anyways... or is there something I'm missing?

Help very much appreciated!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mixing RAM - 1.5 and 1.65v? 4 months 4 weeks ago #2180

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 87
Hi,

The Blackline 996995 kit will work in your mobo.
However mixing it with the older kit that you have could cause problems, all memory in a system should be the same. The two kits are quite different, the density(size), voltage and chips are all different.
You could try running them together, but I can't guaranty they'll play nice together, I guess at worst you would need to remove the 996744 kit, you'd still have double your current memory.

It is normal for the mobo to set the memory at 1333 when on full auto(default) like after a BIOS update.
The XMP has to be enabled in the BIOS(or you can set the memory manually of course) On an Asus mobo all that needs to be done to enable XMP is to change the Ai Overclock Tuner from auto to XMP.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds