Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Update SSD Firmware in Windows

Update SSD Firmware in Windows 1 year 8 months ago #9

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 90
To update the firmware on your SSD you need to satisfy the following, the storage configuration in the BIOS must be in AHCI mode, you must launch the update utility by right clicking and running as administrator and in some cases you will need to use the MS AHCI driver to update.

Intel Chipsets
X79 mobos and Intel RST 11.5 or higher, to update you will need to use the MS AHCI driver to update.
The easiest way to switch from the RST or RSTe driver to the MS AHCI driver is through device manager. like this,
Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers -> Intel....AHCI Controller -> Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse My Computer... -> Let me Pick... -> then you should see a "Standard AHCI...Controller" select it and click next. Then reboot, once back into Windows you should be on the MS AHCI and be able to update the firmware. After you have updated you can go back to the RST driver.
On X79 mobos, the RSTe drive can also be under "storage controllers" in device manager. If you are unable to find the Intel RSTe driver under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, scroll down in Device manager and you will find storage controllers further down the list of devices.

AMD Chipsets
The AMD_SATA driver will block the updater, you will need to use the MS AHCI driver to update.
The easiest way to switch from the AMD driver to the MS AHCI driver is through Device Manager. Like this,
Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers -> AMD_SATA Controller -> Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse My Computer... -> Let me Pick... -> then you should see a "Standard AHCI...Controller" select it and click next. Then reboot, once back into Windows you should be on the MS AHCI and be able to update the firmware. After you have updated you can go back to the AMD driver.

Download the firmware, unzip the file, then launch the updater by right clicking and running as administrator.

adminrts.png

The updater should detect your drive(s)

updater.png

Check the drives that you want to update, then click the update firmware button
The updater should find the update file, highlight it and click open
selffp.jpg

Then the warning dialog box should open, click Proceed

warn.png

The updater will then update the firmware, when it has updated the firmware you will see a green check mark over the drive icon
updatecomp.png

You can then confirm that the drive has updated by clicking on the Rescan for Drives button
If the drive has updated the fw Rev box will indicate the new firmware
rescan.png

You will then need to reboot the system manually.
Windows may require you to reboot 2 times, follow the prompts that Windows requires.
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by MushkinSean.
The topic has been locked.
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds