Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trouble upgrading from 120GB boot drive to 240GB

Trouble upgrading from 120GB boot drive to 240GB 6 months 3 days ago #2109

• Ken429
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm having trouble creating a W8.1 system on a Chronos 240GB SSD from a 120GB SSD. For some reason the BIOS on my ASRock Z77 Formula MB (P2.30) will not recognize the 240GB SSD after I have Cloned it/or/Restored it using Acronis TI 2014. Yet, if I connect the Cloned 240GB SSD to one of the Marvell SATA3 ports it is recognized. I have Cloned/Restored many drives using TI and never ran into this issue. MushkinSean can you please give me a hint on what the #$% is going on.

Also, for some reason Ken429 must have been or is being used by someone else or something since my prior posts and responses from MushkinSean got deleted in the last month or so. I got the email notifications to prove that I had a thread going. As a final act of desperation I tried registering under a different User Name and all looked ok but I never got an email to finalize. I'm losing the faith.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Trouble upgrading from 120GB boot drive to 240GB 6 months 2 days ago #2110

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 87
That is weird, I assume you are using the same power and signal cables regardless of the port the SSD is connected to.

Does the drive show up in BBS hard drive boot priorities under the boot tab in the BIOS?
Did you try disabling Rapid start or secure boot if in the BIOS?

I know there are some posts missing on the forum, the IT guys are working to restore them.
Last Edit: 6 months 2 days ago by MushkinSean.

Trouble upgrading from 120GB boot drive to 240GB 6 months 2 days ago #2111

• Ken429
  • Fresh Boarder
The drive does not show up anywhere, it is not recognized by the BIOS on the ASRock Z77 OC Formula MB when it is connected to an Intel SATA3 Port. Like I said, it is recognized and functions when connected to one of the Marvell SATA Ports on this MB. I Disabled Secure Boot and that had no effect. I manually Disable Fast Start (the BIOS had defaulted to Disabled) and that had no effect.

Now... when I take the drive and connect it to a SATA3 Port0 on my Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H MB the BIOS recognizes the drive and tries to Boot from it. I'm going to Clone the 120GB Boot SSD on the Gigabyte system to the Mushkin Chronos 240GB drive and see if it behaves. If so then I guess there is some glitch with the ASRock BIOS and a Chronos 240GB drive formatted as GPT with W8.1????

Trouble upgrading from 120GB boot drive to 240GB 6 months 2 days ago #2112

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 87
Hmmm... it works normal in a GBT Z77

Does the drive from the GBT mobo get detected on the Asrock?
Is that drive GPT or MBR?

Trouble upgrading from 120GB boot drive to 240GB 6 months 18 hours ago #2116

• Ken429
  • Fresh Boarder
I feel real dumb since a couple years ago I had trouble with a Mushkin SSD that did not get recognized in the Swap Bays on the Corsair 800D case. I awoke this morning and realized that was part of the problem. I took a fresh start -

Made sure Secure Boot was Disabled in the ASRock MB BIOS.
Connected the OCZ 120GB to SATA3_0 via a standalone cable and connected the Mushkin 240GB to SATA3_1 via a standalone cable.
Booted the CD version of Acronis TI 2014.
Used the New Drive feature of Acronis TI 2014 to clear the Mushkin SSD of any BS that had accumulated.
Set the Mushkin up as GPT.
Cloned the OCZ system to the Mushkin.
Connected the Mushkin to SATA3_0 via a SATA Cable - No Swap Bay!

It worked with no issues.

So...was it "Secure Boot" being Enable early on, using W8.1 version of TI 2014 to Clone and/or the fact I used W8.1 to originally set up the Mushkin SSD as GPT? I know the 800D case issue was a factor in the drive not being recognized but it did strange things when connected to the Gigabyte System which is a 650D case (standard SATA cables) and would not boot when connected to a ASRock SATA2 Port via a SATA Cable.

I won't forget anytime soon that Mushkin SSD's (at least the three I got) don't like the 800D Swap Bays. But everything is now working as advertised. Thanks for the help.

Last Edit: 6 months 18 hours ago by Ken429.

Trouble upgrading from 120GB boot drive to 240GB 5 months 4 weeks ago #2117

• Ken429
  • Fresh Boarder
MushkinSean,
Now that I have finally got this thing sorted out I need a little more info on updating the Firmware. Does the latest version of Mushkin's Windows Firmware Update Program (507) allow me to update the Firmware if it is the boot drive? Does it work OK running under W8.1? It's been awhile since I updated Firmware on a Mushkin SSD! I have a 120GB DX and a couple for 120GB drives with 504 which I should update? Then I have this 240GB drive and SSDLife says the Firmware version is 540! Is that a bug in the program or does the 240GB drive store the Firmware version in a different format or...?
Last Edit: 5 months 4 weeks ago by Ken429.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds