Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: MKNSSDCR120GB-7 and 210~ MB/sec read/write

MKNSSDCR120GB-7 and 210~ MB/sec read/write 2 months 3 days ago #2262

• siorai
  • Fresh Boarder
Picked up one these over the weekend to use as a primary OS 'cause I found a decent deal on it, and needed a new HD so I thought I'd make the move to SSD. Love the drive. Much more responsive than the one I was using before, (640 GB WD Black)

However when I'm running ATTO, default settings, as the attatchment will show, I'm getting less than advertised speeds.

I'm perfectly okay with not getting the absolute peak performance out of everything, since I'm sure I know exactly what the issue is, but I wanted to ask in here first.

Mobo - msi 790fx-gd70

Yep. It's SATA II. It's also a really old motherboard. I feel like there's a good possibility that it's holding the new SSD back, but I just wanted to make sure. If this is the fastest I can get on it before I get a new mobo when the octo-core intel extremes come out with DDR4 support, I'l be okay with that. But I'm wondering if I can squeeze out some more performance out of it with a firmware update, or if this is just the way it is for those of us still using SATA II.

Thanks in advance.

SSD N00b Siorai
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MKNSSDCR120GB-7 and 210~ MB/sec read/write 2 months 3 days ago #2263

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 87
Hi,

On an Intel SATA2 you can usually get around 250MB/s, AMD is not quite as fast as the Intels, for a 750 SB 210MB/s is about normal.
Sometimes you can get a bit more speed with the latest AMD AHCI drivers, but not much. You can get the latest AMD SATA/RAID drivers direct from AMD. You may already have them if you have an AMD video card because they usually include chipset drivers in the Catalyst driver package.

Yes the new Intel x99 and DDR4 should be a great update, hopefully that will all be out by the end of the year....
The following user(s) said Thank You: siorai

MKNSSDCR120GB-7 and 210~ MB/sec read/write 2 months 3 days ago #2264

• siorai
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you so much for the lightning quick response Sean, don't see this type of response for support often enough in this industry, I'm going to run over to newegg for my review of it now.

As far as the firmware update, I'm sure the old firmware addage of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, applies?

MKNSSDCR120GB-7 and 210~ MB/sec read/write 2 months 3 days ago #2265

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 87
That is true about firmware, and most things tbh... lol
However the drive will already have the latest firmware on it, as we always ship with the latest installed so you don't need to worry about updating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: siorai
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds