Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 997006 1.65v Ivy Question

997006 1.65v Ivy Question 6 months 6 days ago #1964

• Gizas
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello!

I have a 997006 kit for about 2 years now, starting with a i5 760 build. I love it and never had a problem with it, so since i upgraded to a 3570k about 1 year ago and i might be sticking with it for another 2 years, i decided to order another 997006 kit, so i would get 16gb total ram.

Now the problem, or the question: at some point in time ago, i read that intel processors don't play nice with 1.65v memory and max should be 1.575 if you want to be on the safe side. Now if you ask me, it`s a load of bs, but i decided to go with it, and set it at 1.575. So this 2x4 gb kit i have, has been running like that for about 8 months now without any problems, at default specs, only with 1.575v. Now.. i`m buying this other kit, so i would be running 4x4gb at 1.575v. Would that be a problem? Would it even run at that low voltage, considering it`s 4 sticks or ram? Or maybe i should ignore the dramatic, no-proof warnings and should go with 1.65v? Could i run all the 4 sticks with 1.5v at 1600 cl9? Truth be told, i ran 1.65v, before changing it to 1.575v for a year, without any issues.

Forgot to mention that i`m running on a asus maximus v gene mobo.

Thank you. Have a good one :)
Last Edit: 6 months 6 days ago by Gizas.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

997006 1.65v Ivy Question 6 months 5 days ago #1967

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 86
Hi,

Up to 1.65V is safe to use on Intel systems.

I would start at 1.65V with the new memory and then if you want you could try reducing the voltage and see if the system remains stable at the lower voltage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gizas

997006 1.65v Ivy Question 6 months 5 days ago #1969

• Gizas
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey,
Thank you for your reply!
I was under the impression that intel stated in their datasheets that second gen, ivy and haswell should only be paired with 1.5v memory, plus-minus 5% (so 1.575 max, or 1.425 min voltage), to be within jedec specs and not damage the memory controller. Yet they.. somehow approve these xmp profiles that go beyond that. See this is my problem, apparently nobody knows for sure what 1.65v could do to the IMC in the long run, without a clear answer from intel, which they are reluctant to give (and say that it could, it might, it can etc.).

Have you guys at Mushkin ever had a chat with Intel about this? And did they say anything about being ok with 1.65v for sandy/ivy? Because then i`ll just go with that and give it a rest.

Again, thank you in advance for your patience to answer my silly questions :)
Last Edit: 6 months 5 days ago by Gizas.

997006 1.65v Ivy Question 6 months 4 days ago #1970

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 86
Well they do, but your first post stated it correctly, its a bunch of.... They just list the JEDEC specs.

The memory voltage thing runs along the same line as the policy on overclocking, it is not endorsed. At the same time they have CPUs with unlocked multies... Despite all the warnings about overclocking how many CPUs have been damaged by overclocking? Unless it was with crazy voltages and liquid nitrogen, not many.

Then there are Intel documents like this www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/x...core-processors.html
notice the number of approved memory that is 1.6/1.65?
On my own socket 1155 system that is suppose to be at 1.5V max I have been running 1.65V for years with no issues what so ever. As have millions of others.

997006 1.65v Ivy Question 6 months 4 days ago #1971

• Gizas
  • Fresh Boarder
As have i ran 1.65v without problems until i decided to snoop around some forums and got paranoid about ram voltage. But since i agree with everything you said, i guess it makes sense to just go with my gut about this.

As you`ve advised me, i`ll just run them with 1.65v downwards to see where i can get them stable at. Or maybe i`ll just stick with 1.65v.
I`ll come back with feedback in about 3 weeks, when they`ll arrive.

Thank your for your time and help.
Have a nice day.

997006 1.65v Ivy Question 5 months 1 week ago #2089

• Gizas
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey, so the memory arrived last week, like 5 days ago, and i have to say it`s incredible how i can run these 4 dimms at 1.575 @ default specs (1600-7-9-8-24-1t). Been running these 5 days without any problems and under intel safe "max 1.575v". Initially i wanted to start from 1.65v downward but i said what the heck, i`ll just put them straight at 1.575 to see if they even start. And so they did!
If they`ll give me any trouble i`ll give them a memtest run but for now it`s all golden. So happy with this memory :) Have a nice one!
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Gizas.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds