Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ventura Pro 64 GB - Getting Slower

Ventura Pro 64 GB - Getting Slower 10 months 1 day ago #1877

• Acreo Aeneas
I have a Ventura Pro 64 GB that I bought from NewEgg earlier in the year. I have used it sparingly for various files (large and small). However the last few days I put it to use again on two different systems and have noticed that sequential read and write speeds are getting slower and slower. I used CrystalDiskMark (5 passes, 500 MB) and this was my last result:

TypeReadWrite
Seq44.4034.84
512K39.800.940
4K3.7040.217
4K323.4890.276

My first system has a ASUS Z77 board and my second system has a ASRock A88X board. The drive was plugged into USB 3.0 for both systems. Both systems have all the hardware drivers installed and up-to-date. I used to get 122.00 Seq Read and 78 Seq Write. I have tried reformatting the flash drive from NTFS to ExFat and it has not helped. I know there isn't TRIM for SSDs attached to USB (essentially what this flash drive is). So how do I go about getting my usual speeds back?
Last Edit: 10 months 1 day ago by Acreo Aeneas.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ventura Pro 64 GB - Getting Slower 10 months 23 hours ago #1882

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 90
Hi,

It the drive getting any other symptoms?

For these drives you get best speeds if formatted to NTFS, I would suggest cleaning the drive in diskpart and then quick format to NTFS.

Ventura Pro 64 GB - Getting Slower 9 months 3 weeks ago #1890

I apologize for not posting earlier. I could log back in as the Mushkin website was hacked. And subsequently my account was lost (database wipe of users?)

Okay, so ran CrystalDiskMark (CDM) with 3 passes and 1000 MB size for sequential only once after cleaning the drive with diskpart. I repeated this 3 times and ran CDM once more. Sequential results: 136.2 MBs read and 63.49 MBs write. I also recently bought a second Ventura Pro (was supposed to be a Plus but got shipped a Pro instead). Drive is exhibiting the same degraded performance as my first older drive. Several cleans later, still poor performance. So I did a clean and low level format to NTFS. Still poor performance (see first post). I got almost the exact same numbers. I changed ports. Speed returned. Hmmm, apparantly one of my two front USB 3.0 ports does not get full speed and seems to be defaulting to USB 2.0 speeds. It's one shared USB 3.0 header. Might have to replug the cable back in to see if that fixes anything later.
Last Edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by Acreo Aeneas.

Ventura Pro 64 GB - Getting Slower 9 months 3 weeks ago #1894

• MushkinSean
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 90
Is the connector you are using on the Z77 mobo an ASMedia or is it an Intel USB3? Not sure which mobo you have, some have both on the mobo.

All the USB3 ports at the back of the computer perform correctly?
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds